Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Halifax, Moncton, Saint John












Good day everyone. Jon and I walked around the wharf in Halifax. There were several shops, restaurants and ferry boat tours there. One of the tour boats had the image of Theodore Tugboat. I used to watch it when I was a child. We walked down to Historical Properties which had again many shops and restaurants. We saw a neat shop that demonstrated glass blowing. Unfortunately when we went, they were on a break so we didn’t see much. We did have ice-cream at Cows. I didn’t think Cows was that popular. We had a double scoop cone. One of the scoops was maple walnut and the other pecan toffee. It was tasty.

Once we were done, Jon had to get gas for his car. We drove to the closest gas station which happened to be a Canadian Tire gas bar. Our total came up to $58.47. Jon was lining up to pay while I went to the restroom. Before I left, I heard the cashier tell the man in front of Jon that his total was $58.47. I thought that was either a mighty coincidence or she made a mistake. When I came back, what happened was that the cashier charged the man $58.47. Then it was Jon’s turn to pay and he pointed out his pump number. This was when the cashier realized she charged the previous man the wrong amount. Unfortunate, the credit card machine wasn’t working so the cashier couldn’t reverse the man’s amount. The cashier told Jon to pay the man $18 for the difference the man was owed but didn’t say anything further. Of course that doesn’t make sense for Jon to only pay $18 for $58.47 of gas. Jon told them that it wasn’t right but the cashier was confused. Then I told them that Jon will pay the cashier $58.47 then the cashier can pay the man the difference. It would be much simpler that way. So that’s what we did but Jon could have gotten $58.47 worth of gas for $18.

We were off to Moncton, New Brunswick to get an oil change. While Jon was waiting for the oil change, I walked to KFC/Taco bell. I ordered a crispy chicken sandwich, poutine, pop and 2 tacos for us to share. The taco meat tastes like mush. It was quite gross. Jon liked the crisply chicken sandwich and the poutine was not bad. I donated $1 to a charity helping children and I received a little token of appreciation. I didn’t know I was going to get something. It was in a tiny pouch so I quickly pulled it out and sprang into a circular Frisbee. I was startled by it. Think of those laundry hampers that are packaged into a circle then when you pull it out, it springs into shape. The springing action was very sudden.
Once we finished the oil change, we drove to Magnetic Hill. They have an optical illusion where you drive to the bottom of the hill, put your car in neutral and it feels like your car is driving up hill. It was weird at first. We tried the hill 3 times to try to solve the mystery but we couldn’t.

We are staying at Saint John, New Brunswick tonight. We walked around Market Wharf. There were many restaurants with patio and a beach volleyball court. Coincidently, we came in time for their Country sing-off. Tomorrow, they are having a beach party down there too. Inside the wharf, it looked like a small shopping mall. There were many souvenir shops and a food court. There was also a connecting walkway to Brunswick Square which is another shopping mall. We didn’t stay long for the Country sing-off because we wanted to see the Reversing Falls. During high tide, the tide rises about the river and pushes it in the opposite direction. When we saw it tonight, it was supposedly in reverse. The currents looked unusual as there were swirls and funny ripples. We will go tomorrow morning to see the river flow in the right direction.

Have a good night everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I took a picture of Theodore Tugboat when I was in Halifax too! so cute :)

    ReplyDelete